Thursday, August 27, 2009

Preseason a Prediction...

Correct me if I'm wrong but everyone loves watching a football game dominated by 3rd and 4th stringers, clinging to their roster position with the knowledge that one mistake might result in their demise and subsequent release. No?

Personally, I'd much rather watch ex-Big Ten QBs Jim Sorgi and Curtis Painter dissect a defense as opposed to Peyton Manning throw interceptions and looked befuddled running the offense. After popping a nice big bag of popcorn, I'd love to sit down and watch Ian Johnson's electrifying moves that he showcased on the Smurf field in Idaho instead of...shoot. I forgot his name. OH YEAH...Adrian Peterson. He only picks up like 1 yard every time he touches the ball. I would also rush home from a late night at work to be absolutely certain I don't miss Early Doucet's mind-boggling catches, while Larry Fitzgerald lolligags around the bench, dreadlocks blowing in the breeze.

OR...Is it the other way around? I'm officially confused.

Let me hit you with a statement and you can throw it back at me if you don't agree. PRESEASON IS POINTLESS. It'd be one thing if there wasn't any evidence, but I assure you with as much as a guarantee of Tiger Woods winning a golf tournament after holding a 54-hole lead that the evidence is clearly visible. What's that? Tiger Woods faltered in that situation? Hmmm...I wasn't aware. Guess my guarantee is a moot point. NOT.

No matter how you slice it, the preseason is just an extended high school soap opera of players fighting for their positions. If you find this aspect of preseason fascinating, I feel sorry for you. Fact of the matter is, besides maybe one or two positions on defense, offense, or special teams, most rosters are fairly close to determined. There might be a little shuffling between personnel groups but who honestly pays attention to that?

If you STILL don't agree with me, that's fine. I'll just throw some evidence out there. Last season Tom Brady didn't play a second in the preseason. The Patriots stumbled to an 0-4 record. Toast, right? Wrong. Brady gets hurt in the first half of the first regular season game and the Patriots finish 11-5 with a playoff berth. (Behind their same backup QB Matt Cassell that led them to that 0-4 record)

Please tell me you are closer to agreeing with me...

Baltimore introduced it's rookie QB from tiny Delaware last preseason and he led them to a spectacular 1-3 record in the preseason. Only he discovered he was throwing the football with his opposite arm. Well not really but, the Ravens became the surprise of the NFL last year behind Joe Flacco with an 11-5 record and an AFC Championship game berth.

Not there yet?

Drum Roll please...

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, PLEASE JOIN ME IN WELCOMING THE BEST NFL TEAM IN THE WHOLE 2008 PRESEASON......

THE DETROIT LIONS!!! *Applause*

That's right. The Lions ripped off four straight wins in the preseason. They proceeded to not win another game for another four months. Not so bad right? Except those last 16 games in those 4 months were the games that actually counted.

If you are not with me yet, then I've exhausted all my options.

Until tomorrow...Adios Amigos

Oh I almost forgot. Jared Allen, defensive end for the Vikings represented their team well when he stated that he didn't think anyone on their team even knew what a 'schism' was much less use it in a sentence. Allen thought it was an STD. Ha...I love those intelligent Vikings.


No comments:

Post a Comment