Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Rubioing Out of the States...

With talent comes money. With money comes glamour. With glamour comes arrogance. (Often)

Now this doesn't hold true for most athletes in professional sports. Albert Pujols, Roger Federer, and Phil Mickleson to name a few. However, there are some that demand the spotlight and think very highly of themselves.

Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, hmm dare I say Brett Favre?, Terrell Owens, Chad Ochocinco, etc. Tentatively add to that list Ricky Rubio.

Ricky Rubio was the 5th pick in the NBA draft this year to the Minnesota Timberwolves. He shined in Europe playing for DKV Joventut and putting on a pristine passing showcase throughout the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. More than anything, his championship game performance against NBA stars such as LeBron, Kobe, and company elevated his draft status enough for the Timberwolves to take him with the 5th selection.

Only one problem.

He suddenly decided playing in the NBA, "would have just complicated my life a lot." Granted, the Timberwolves took the risk with drafting him that they would be able to orchestrate a deal to pay his buyout clause from his hometown club and bring him to the states.

However, after numerous meetings with Timberwolves president David Kahn in Spain, Rubio rejected his offers to come to the states and agreed to be dealt to Barcelona.

Rubio stated, "When the season ended, I entered the draft with the intention of going to the NBA. But some things happened that kept me from being ahead of the rest and I ended up No. 5, which I was happy with, but it didn't allow me the chance to go to the NBA. I tried, but in the end it wasn't to be."

Hmmm, it sounds like just a nice way of saying I dont want to play for Minnesota and I could do what I want even though I've never played a minute in the NBA. This is reminiscent of the Eli Manning and Philip Rivers draft situation a few years ago when neither quarterback wanted to play for the teams that drafted them so they eventually were traded.

Ricky, at 19 are you that egotistical that you want to personally direct where you end up in the NBA? Sorry buddy but it doesn't work like that. You will find out soon enough when you DO choose to jump to the NBA that you might have to learn a few things the hard way.

After all, if you didn't want to risk dropping to No. 5 in the NBA draft, why enter the draft in the first place. At least you realize that you can improve your game and raise your draft status for the future but one thing is for certain: When you are drafted, you will be drafted by a terrible team.

That's how the NBA Draft Lottery works. I guess I wish you the best and I guess you are Rick Rollin' your way out of the States Rick Astley style...except boy did you let Minnesotans down.

Until tomorrow...Adios Amigos





No comments:

Post a Comment